Reducing field service costs will be of prime concern to all companies that have routine outdoor works. In the former days, paper documentation was prevalent for everything related to a specific work. The documentation using paper and pen was not at all accurate, and there was the possibility of delay as regards the work execution. Besides, controlling the flow of fieldwork is somewhat daunting as the workplaces will be away from the main office. Companies like contractors, electrical, plumbing, builders, etc., had a difficult time in managing their outdoor works. The supervisory staff had to travel to different work locations to assess the work progression. The supervisors had to visit the work spots to give instructions to the employees regarding the related work and the materials they must use. Hence, the companies had to spend a lot of money with respect to the travel of the supervisors to the worksite. Now, with the introduction of mobile apps for field service, there is no need for the supervisors to be present in the work location just for guiding the employees.
However, companies must be prudent while selecting software. Besides, there are some most significant factors that the company management must ensure while using mobile apps for field service.
• The primary thing is to find out a reliable and talented software development company. The company must have hands-on experience and must be technically perfect.
• The management must talk to the field staff and comprehend their practical necessities with respect to the work they do.
• They must consult with the software company and plan the required customization.
• The management must give professional training to the field staff as regards the usage of the app.
Five Effective Ways to Reduce Field Service Costs
• Forget about paper and pen documentation, and start using mobile apps for field service. These are apt software, which will you’re your estimation and implementation of your offsite work perfect. The planning will be appropriate, and the implementation will be prompt. You can provide smartphones to your field staff and can train them to use the software effectively. You must talk to a software development company and discuss your requirement. This discussion will enable the company to make customized mobile apps for field service exclusively for your specific need.
• The management must control the functions of the transportation department. You must minimize the use of company vehicles. This arrangement will trim down the fuel cost considerably. When you start using the mobile apps for field service, you will be able to curtail unnecessary use of company means of transportation. Then, the offsite technicians or supervisors will not have to travel to and fro often.
• Give sufficient training to the technicians. Technology is not stagnant, and advancement will be constant and hence, periodic updating, as regards the technology the company uses for its diverse operations, is a must. Besides, the technicians and the supervisory staff must become aware of these developments, and hence, training is vital. Such training programs will make these employees fully armed to meet any kind of situation that is par for the course of their job.
• The training for the technicians must include the ways to handle the spare parts or the materials and machinery effectively, apart from the usage of mobile apps for field service. This point is vital as most of these things are costly. If the employees mismanage or mess up things then, that will increase the expenditure. Hence, the management must give official instructions to the employees to handle the parts, machinery, etc., with care. Remember, parts management is of high significance, and you must make sure that every employee is well aware of this fact. If possible, you can ask the software company to incorporate the training modules in the software.
• Inventory management must be flawless, and things must be up-to-date. Here, planning is imperative. The company management must know about the work schedule of the technicians or the field staff. They must make sure to stock the items the technicians need for that specific work schedule well in advance. It will be wise to store some extra pieces, which the technicians can use in an emergency.
That said, prudent planning and perfect managerial control are imperative to reduce field service costs, and this is the duty of the top managerial personnel.