Roles of a DNN Developer- DNN Development
Before we list down the things one must consider while hiring DotNetNuke developers, let’s understand the role they play and also establish why DNN is so unique when compared to other CMS. DNN is one of the most user-friendly CMS owing to its flexible three-tier architecture model that allows for many extensible features. Using these extensible features, one can install many third party modules and skins to improve the functionality and visual appeal of a website. In addition, it is easier to navigate across all administrative fields of a website using DotNetNuke and even content editing is a lot easier when compared to other CMS platforms.
Let’s us now list the responsibilities of a DotNetNuke developer.
• DNN Installation- The developer is supposed to set up a database on a SQL server, uploading the installation files into directories and completing the installation wizard by installing the latest version of the DNN.
• DNN Module Development- Using DotNetNuke modules it is possible to determine the functionalities of a website. These modules are either found in an existing module library or custom designed for specific functions. The job of a DotNetNuke developer is to suggest the best set of modules or design.
• DNN Skins Design and Installation- Like modules determine the functionality of a website, DNN skins determine the visual appeal of a website. A developer is supposed to have an eye for detail and design by installing or custom designing the right type of skin to achieve the desired look and feel.
Things to Consider While Hiring DNN Developers
• The first thing you should do when you start your quest for DNN developers is to determine whether you need a permanent employee or a DNN consultant. This decision varies with your requirements and budget and also affects the salary and amenities you are supposed to offer.
• If you are looking to hire a permanent employee for all your DotNetNuke (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DotNetNuke) needs, please be realistic to accept that a good developer is not going to stay long with your company. But this is not bad as a proficient developer will set up a DNN system so well, that the succeeding developers will be easily able to follow his lead. It is important to understand that developers who love coding more than their jobs can never be limited to a single organization.
• Contrary to the popular belief, always prefer open source DNN developers who contribute codes, design modules and skins for free to solely improve the open source platforms. Such developers are not only gifted and brilliant, but also dedicated individuals who care about the development of the software ecosystem.
• If you are using a pre-screening software to filter out the various applicants based on their educational qualifications or degrees, you’ll probably never find the DNN developer your company needs. In fact, most of the prominent developers in the Silicon Valley hardly have a college degree because their brilliance and love for coding cannot be contained by mere professional degrees. To summarize, prefer talent and experience over degrees.
• You need DNN developers who are adaptable to all kinds of situations and perform under various work conditions. Sometimes it is required that they come up with an immediate, dirty hack to get rid of an emergency, and sometimes it is required that they show their brilliance with elegant and robust long-term solutions.